We were receiving some really really strange behaviour with a dotnetnuke website.
The log files showed:
Event message: Forms authentication failed for the request. Reason: The ticket supplied was invalid. with EVENT ID 1315
The behaviour was this:
Login with Internet Explorer worked.
Login with some versions of firefox failed others worked
Login with Chrome failed.
When login failed, the browser would refresh and then show the page you were on before login.
Now in this instance we tried nearly everything we could think of. we tried different application pools different.net settings in IIS. and we hand we have a good idea of both server management and asp.net.
He also had is particularly confused that other DotNetNuke websites on this particular server were running just fine.
To cut a long story short the problem turned out to be very specific that site we were using.
We were in the process of migrating somebody else’s site to our servers, and we had exported their site and site content using the DotNetNuke template feature. Ordinarily this would work just fine, however in this case the user on the other website had defined the login.aspx page to have administrator only privileges. They had set the login link from the skin to automatically directed to the login.aspx webpage. In the site settings they had defined no page for the DotNetNuke login page.
What this meant was that as the user attempted login to the DotNetNuke website, the attempt to call the login.aspx page was made and the DotNetNuke automatic lockout protection system was called in to play. This lockout protection system will throw up the standard DotNetNuke login screen, if the page is either undefined or unavailable as with both the case with this website. It just so happens that this lockout protection system doesn’t work particularly well with chrome. That’s a whole not a problem and I don’t intend to solve.
The solution here was to login using Internet Explorer, enable permissions on the login.aspx page which in the DotNetNuke website was simply called login. I was then able to select this page as the login page in the admin/site settings page. Once the login page was correctly defined I then ensured that the login module that come standard with DotNetNuke was included on this page.
After making these changes to the settings, we stopped receiving the error message:
DotNetNuke Event message: Forms authentication failed for the request. Reason: The ticket supplied was invalid. EventID 1315
And the site continued to operate correctly from there. Now whilst this was a very particular configuration that was imported from an invalid template website. I have noticed that in forums discussing this event ID, nobody has come up with a solution suggesting to look for the validity of your login settings within DotNetNuke. Hence the reason for this blog post.
I hope that saves somebody a lot of time, as I blew nearly 2 days try to resolve this one.
If anybody needs assistance with this type of problem, please feel free to contact us on our website.